Let’s talk about The Connection Between Environmental Health and Mental Health. The Earth is our home, and it is our responsibility to take care of it. When we take care of the environment, we are not only doing our part to preserve the natural world for future generations, but we are also taking care of our own mental health.
Written By: Kairavi Anjaria
Impact Of the Environment on our well-being
The environment has a profound impact on our well-being. Studies have shown that exposure to nature can reduce stress and anxiety, improve mood, and increase feelings of well-being. When we are surrounded by greenery, fresh air, and natural beauty, we feel more connected to the world around us and are more likely to experience positive emotions.
On the other hand, living in a polluted, degraded environment can have a negative impact on our mental health. Air pollution, for example, has been linked to depression, anxiety, and even suicide. Our bodies and minds suffer when we are exposed to toxins and pollutants. We become more irritable, stressed, and anxious and may experience physical symptoms such as headaches, fatigue, and respiratory problems.
Climate change is also a major threat to our mental health. The impact of extreme weather events, rising sea levels, and other environmental disasters can lead to trauma, anxiety, and depression. As we continue to see the effects of climate change worsen, it is essential to prioritize our mental health and well-being.
Taking care of the environment can help us take care of our mental health. When we engage in eco-friendly behaviors such as recycling, using renewable energy, and reducing our carbon footprint, we feel a sense of purpose and meaning. We feel like we are doing something positive for the world, and this can boost our mood and sense of well-being.
Impact of Nature on Mental Health
In addition, spending time in nature can have a therapeutic effect on our mental health. Going for a walk in the woods, spending time at the beach, or simply sitting in a park can help us feel more relaxed, calm, and connected to the world around us. Research has shown that spending time in nature can reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety, improve cognitive function, and increase feelings of happiness.
Research on The Connection Between Environmental Health and Mental Health
The idea that the health of the environment and the health of our minds are interconnected is not new. Many studies have shown that there is a direct link between exposure to nature and mental health. For instance, a 2015 study published in the International Journal of Environmental Health Research found that spending time in natural environments, such as parks, forests, and beaches, was associated with lower levels of stress and anxiety and higher levels of well-being.
Another study conducted by researchers at the University of Michigan found that people who lived in areas with more green space had lower levels of symptoms of depression and anxiety compared to those who lived in areas with less green space. This is because exposure to nature can help reduce stress and promote relaxation, which is essential for good mental health.
Furthermore, taking care of the environment can also help us feel more connected to our communities and to the world around us. By engaging in eco-friendly behaviors, we can feel like we are contributing to something larger than ourselves and that our actions positively impact the planet. This can give us a sense of purpose and meaning, which can be essential for maintaining good mental health.
In conclusion, the health of the environment and the health of our minds are intimately connected. By taking care of the Earth, we can take care of ourselves. We can reduce our exposure to toxins and pollutants, decrease our risk of climate-related mental health issues, and improve our overall sense of well-being. So on this Earth Day, let us all commit to doing our part to protect our planet and, in turn, protect our mental health.
On this Earth Day, it is essential to remember that our actions significantly impact the environment and our mental health. By taking care of the Earth, we can take care of ourselves and ensure that future generations can also enjoy a healthy and sustainable planet. We can do our part by reducing our carbon footprint, using renewable energy, recycling, and advocating for policies that protect the environment. Doing so can improve our overall sense of well-being and contribute to a healthier and happier world for all.
Give Vacha Foundation’s Initiative for Mother Earth
The Give Vacha Foundation, in collaboration with Krup Music, Krup Productions, and Esy ID, has organized a unique event called “Maa Parv 2023” that focuses on the concept of Prithvi Maa or Mother Earth. The event is based on the book “Arjun Uvacha: Maa Parv” authored by Dr. Krupesh Nayna Shashikant and coordinated by Dr. Pooja Pravina Jagdish and a team of dedicated volunteers.
The event, which is set to run from 15th April to 14th May 2023, is the longest Mother’s Day celebration in the world. The month-long celebration is designed to create awareness about the importance of all forms Mother and includes various activities that revolve around the theme of “Mother.”
Dr. Krupesh dedicated the entire event to Mrs. Nayna Diwaliben Jethalal and Dr. Shashikant Devkaba Umarshi. One unique aspect of the event is the activation of various global projects to show gratitude to Mother Earth, or as it is called in Sanskrit, Pruthvi (पृथ्वी). These projects aim to raise awareness about our relationship with the planet and encourage individuals to take positive steps towards environmental conservation and sustainability.
By focusing on the theme of Prithvi Maa, Maa Parv 2023 aims to create awareness about the importance of protecting Mother Earth and promoting sustainable living practices. The event is a call to action for individuals and organizations to take up initiatives that contribute to environmental conservation.
One of the event’s main highlights is the “Gunje Gita” show, which features Gita recitation sessions by the Parv Fusion Band. There is also a compilation book launch under the project “Shabda Vandana” and a Krup Talks show where experts discuss the importance of environmental conservation.Moreover, the event will also feature a music launch event, which promises to showcase the talents of some of the most prominent music artists. Dr. Krupesh Thacker, who is spearheading the event, has dedicated it to Mrs. Nayna Diwaliben Jethalal and Dr. Shashikant Devkaba Umarshi.
TO JOIN MAA PARV CLICK HERE
In this project under Maa Parv, all the social activities of Seva and cultural projects will represent these seven themes through music, literature, art, and dance.
- Maa (माँ) : Everyone associated with the organization is known by their mother’s name during the Parv. Maa पर्व के दौरान संगठन से जुड़े सभी लोग अपनी मां के नाम से जाने जाते हैं।
- Gita Mata (गीता माता): Gunje Gita presents Gita chapters with music in a way that is accessible to children and others. Ghar Ghar Gunje Gita program is organized. ‘गुंजे गीता’ के तहत गीता अध्यायों को संगीत के साथ इस तरह प्रस्तुत करना जो बच्चों और अन्य लोगों के लिए सुलभ हो, ‘घर घर गूंजे’ गीता कार्यक्रम का स्थानीय रूप से आयोजन
- Gau Mata (गौ माता): Various service activities for cows and cowshed. गायों और गौशालाओं के लिए विभिन्न सेवाएँ
- Tulsi Mata (तुलसी माता): Gift a Tulsi Plant. तुलसी का पौधा भेंट करना
- Matru Bhasha (मातृभाषा): Various literary activities, anthology publication and book publication under Shabd Vandana. शब्द वंदना के अंतर्गत विभिन्न साहित्यिक गतिविधियां, संकलन प्रकाशन एवं पुस्तक प्रकाशन
- Shikshak (शिक्षक): Expressing your gratitude under Gratitude festival by presenting Tulsi plants to the teachers. शिक्षकों को तुलसी के पौधों भेंट कर Gratitude पर्व के तहत अपनी कृतग्यता व्यक्त करना।
- Matru Bhumi (मातृभूमि): Pay our gratitude to motherland. To do efforts for the develop and promote motherland. मातृभूमि के विकास और प्रचार-प्रसार के लिए करना
- Bharat Mata (भारत माता) : Various programs will be organized by the volunteers of the organization to express gratitude towards the country. देश के प्रति कृतज्ञता व्यक्त करने के लिए संस्था के स्वयं सेवकों द्वारा विविध कार्यक्रम किए जायेंगे।
- Lok Mata (लोक माता): Save water campaign based programs will be organized to express gratitude towards Lok Mata. लोक माता अर्थात् नदियों के प्रति कृतज्ञता व्यक्त करने हेतु पानी बचाओ अभियान आधारित कार्यक्रम किए जायेंगे।
- Pruthvi (पृथ्वी): Various global projects will be activated to show gratitude to Mother Earth. पृथ्वी माता के प्रति कृतज्ञता वक्त करने के लिए विविध वैश्विक प्रोजैक्ट सक्रिय किए जायेंगे।